It’s time?! What now?
Don’t worry! Orthodontic treatment isn't nearly as intimidating as you may think. In fact, orthodontic treatment in today’s world gives you the option of a variety of styles, materials, and colors, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and even more stylish than in the past. For many patients, there is even an option to obtain orthodontic correction using our proprietary clear aligners, LTX.
Braces Your Way!
Our practice offers a variety of braces, types, and styles to choose from. Some common options include:
- Clear ceramic, self-ligating braces (In-Ovation C®)
- Clear aligners (LTX/Invisalign®)
- Traditional metal braces
- Rose gold braces
How long will my treatment be?
The amount of time it takes to treat your smile with braces depends on three key factors:
- Early treatment — Past Early treatment gives us a head start to set up a foundation for orthodontic correction and monitor the growth of the jaw. Then when the patient is older, further orthodontic treatment can be recommended if it becomes necessary. Not everybody requires early orthodontic treatment, and in some cases, it may be recommended that a patient wait until they are older to receive treatment.
- What needs to be accomplished — The amount of treatment needed to correct a problem will determine how long the process takes. Different people react to treatment differently, so treatment times can vary depending on how much work is needed to give you the show-stopping smile you expect.
- This is where you come in. — You play a major role in the length of time it takes to complete your treatment. Listen to Dr. Charoenkul’s instructions, take care of your braces and gear, and stay away from the chewy stuff. Licorice and gum will wait for your perfect, healthy teeth to take a bite later!
Orthodontic treatment is a big part of life for many teens. Braces make it easy to maintain the health of their teeth while helping them look good and feel even better!
What can I eat while I’m in treatment?
You’ve probably heard from your parents, friends, and even your orthodontist, the long list of foods and beverages that you should avoid while wearing braces. While it may seem like you’re giving up a lot, it is important to avoid creating situations that can slow down your treatment (i.e. detached brackets, bent wires, etc). Everyone wants to complete their treatment as quickly as possible so why not do everything you can to reach your goal?
Foods to avoid while wearing braces:
- Chewy foods — bagels, licorice
- Crunchy foods — popcorn, chips, ice
- Sticky foods — caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods — nuts, hard candies
- Foods that require biting into — corn on the cob, apples, carrots
Foods you CAN eat while wearing braces:
- Dairy — soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Bread — soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts
- Grains — pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry — soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood — tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables — mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits — applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats — ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cake
Want to learn more about treatment for your teen? Let's get in touch to set up an appointment. Orthodontic treatment at this age will ensure a beautiful, healthy smile into adulthood.